Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Pinky Promise

Today we had a break from training sessions and meetings to get our games together for the intern training. We spent the day cutting, coloring, researching, and roaming the basement of UrbanPromise for supplies. I am so excited for them to arrive and to see the relationships and growth begin.
In the afternoon we had a break so Laura (an AD who was an intern last summer) Wes (an exceptional newbie to the UrbanPromise family) and myself made our way to the down town house to give Wes a tour and to see if we can find any of the Camp Saved kids. As we walked we found a family who laura had grown to know thoughout last summer. The more time we were there the more comfortable everyone got. The kids were showing us their tattoos and Ju Ju challenged us all to a race (and all of them he won) As I left I realized that the doubts I had about moving into a new camp with a new director and new kids were gone. I feel so blessed to have my kids at Camp Peace that I adore but also have a new group at Camp Hope who I believe will be just amazing.
When we left today Ju Ju made each one of us pinky promise that we would come back and race him again. It's something I havnt done since middle school but it's a promise that I indend to keep. I am promising myself that nothing will hold me back this summer. The heart break that I know is inevitable when working in a City like Camden, the challenges that will come when living in such a unique community, or the walls that I have built. I am blessed to have this opprotunity and I am going to take full advantage of what God has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment