Friday, August 26, 2011

Privilege

Privilege: a right or immunity granted as a peculiar benefit, advantage, or favor


This word has been on my mind a lot this week. What does it mean? Who decides if someone is privileged? Should you use it? How do you use it?
I have never considered myself privileged. I grew up in a situation that I never asked for, father in jail and a single mom struggling to make ends meet. When I would think of privilege I would think of money. Because with money brought power, opportunities, and material things. Another reason I never considered myself privileged was because in my own mind the word had a negative connotation. Someone who was self righteous, and unaware of the things going on around the world and even in their own neighborhood because they didn't have to worry about anyone but themselves.
One of the many things that I have learned this summer is that I am privileged. Not by birth right, socioeconomic status, race or ethnicity but because I am a daughter of God who has been blessed. Being at Messiah College and having the opportunity to attain a higher education is a privilege. 
Along with this privilege comes responsibility. A responsibility to be an advocate, to be aware, to speak up, to encourage others, to be humble, to be thankful, and to listen to the one who has given me this privilege.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment