Monday, January 10, 2011

Just a quick note...

So I have made it back to Camden! At times it feels like I'm home again. It's late and I hope to write more later but we started camp today. I got a list of responsibilities for my time here, things that I do during the day to prepare for camp and everything but the fun really starts at 3 when all the kids start rolling up. Since I left after the summer I have tried to send kids mail as often as I can, I will send cards, birthday packages and small things. Not to long ago I sent Ron Ron (one of my favorite camp kids) a birthday package with candy and cars and little things I hoped he would like. And in fact he did, Tony his director told me that when Ron Ron found out I was back to visit he said that I was his girl! Ron Ron had told his friends at camp about the package and word spread, suddenly all the kids felt they needed to tell me when there birthday was. One kid we call shadow (he's always following someone around) was adamant about getting a package and I assured him I would send one. As time went on I accidentally missed his birthday but at my next visit he reminded me again that its ok if it was late. Money was tight and I didnt have much to send but 2 months after his birthday I sent out a craft kit, something small that he would scratch away the black layer to reveal a rainbow of colors underneath. When I saw shadow today I asked him if he got the package and he told me he did and he used it too! I asked how his birthday was, kinda forgetting it was months ago but he said it was okay I didnt get any presents this year other than the one you sent, thats why Im getting double present next year for my birthday. He broke my heart, so many times I get busy or feel like i dont have the extra money but I pray God opens my eyes to kids like shadow in hopes that they just know their loved.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Holly! That's so sad and so sweet about Shadow. When's his birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. His birthday was October 10th and i sent his package the week of christmas :/

    ReplyDelete