Sunday, December 19, 2010

Love Uncalculated

So many people don't understand why I love Camden or why I go. My family gives me the impression that they think I'm in a "phase" something I will grow out of once I'm older and wiser. My friends think that I have gone off the deep end, and they don't really know me anymore. Coworkers think I have a death wish, and many just think I'm down right crazy. My hope for the this blog is to give you a glimpse into the world of Camden that I have come to love, and try to explain why I continue to go back. The title of this blog is love wastefully, two words that don't normally go together however it's kinda a philosophy that I have come to admire. Bruce Main the founder of UrbanPromise in Camden NJ talks about the way we love today is calculated. We are always thinking about is it worth the risk, will it be returned, is it worth my time? Jesus didn't love this way and my goal is to do the same. I'm trying to do this by loving the people that are hurting, broken, and usually forgotten. It scares me in all honesty because when you love wastefully you pour everything into those people, and when they succeed it's the most amazing feeling in the world. When I was at camp this past week two of my 4th grade boys were helping the younger kids with their homework. As they walk around offering assistance in camp I'm proud, they are amazing kids who love people care about others and serve their peers. However when disappointment comes it hits hard. When the teen you pray for everyday, who some may see as a trouble maker or a thug ends up going to jail, you can feel your heart literally break. But in the end it's worth it because you get to see just how amazing that teen actually is. Seeing how funny sweet and talented he is.
"It's easy to show expressions of love that are safe and that are kept within restricted boundaries. But loving wastefully always involves risk...Yet is it not in loving wastefully that we display the inexhaustible love of God? Is it not these spontaneous, risky acts of love that people are touched and doors are opened ?"
I learn the most about myself, about humanity, and about God by loving wastefully

4 comments:

  1. Glad to see you started a blog, but i'm having a hard time reading the font. LOL Maybe it's because i'm old......LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, very well put. Don't worry. My father announced at our wedding we were making a big mistake ministering in the city. Then he told my father in law I wouldn't last more than 3 months. Well 20+ years later, God still blesses us, and has given us a passion about ministering in the city. Just keep listening to your heavenly father. Blessings.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!!!! Holly, I'm so glad you've started this blog. I love hearing about what you see at Camden and how much you love it. I look forward to the next post! You write very well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stell...I know I tried for a while last night to change the font cuz I dont like it, im still working on it (I'm new at this)
    Sandy... thank you, I have people around me who do encourage me and support me and im very thankful for that, and seeing people like you and Brian who continue to work in the city encourages me!
    Harmony...I'm glad you like it :) I'm going to try to continue it, especially while I'm in Camden so I can post pictures and stories while I'm there!

    ReplyDelete