Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Come...and you will see

So I figured I would share an update post move to Philly and pre Malawi!!!
 
Things I have learned since being in the city
1. I still hate having to parallel park
2. I love Trader Joe's
3. I am soooooo excited to teach
4. My family is always there for me no matter what
5. God has blessed me in more ways than I even know
 
When I arrive back in the US after Malawi I will only have 2 days before I start at Mastery so it was important that I have time to settle in and get my life here situated as much as possible. Yesterday I spent the day in my classroom :)
It was soooo good, I moved a bunch of stuff around and have most of my stuff organized around the room. I have been working on some visuals at the apartment which I will go put up later this week! Today I went back to camp peace to visit! It was fun and great to see some of the kids that I have worked with, but I realized that most of my kids are growing up and honestly I didn't know many of the kids there. I still enjoyed time with the street leaders and getting to know some of the interns but it made me realize just how much EVERYTHING in my life is changing, but I know it's changing for the better.
I have also spent some time just exploring the city, small things like grocery shopping, finding the public library and opening a bank account out here.
 
 
On Monday I will meet up with my friend Molly who is one of three other girls traveling to Malawi! First thing Tuesday morning I will be on a flight to the warm heart of Africa!!!
When I first started thinking about making this trip I was asked why I wanted to travel to Malawi?
So here is my attempt to explain why I am excited for this trip and why I want to go.
 
In many ways I grew up in a bubble
Lancaster county
Elizabethtown High School
Messiah College
All places I love (okay maybe not the high school) and all places that have molded me into the person that I am. However to some degree they have all sheltered me in many ways as well.
I have spent time thinking and praying about the kind of life I want to create for myself. What is important to me, who I want to be, what my life will look like.
I decided I wanted this trip to be a base line or a starting point.
Coming back to the basics...discovering who God is through interacting, loving, serving, and creating community with his people.
Doing this in a culture that is so unlike my own forces me to be intentional and aware of how that is done, and my hope is that the things I learn will become part of my everyday life back in this new life of mine. That my interactions and my communities here can be infused with those same characteristics.
 
As a group we discussed trying to find a verse to serve as a theme for our trip.
John 1:38-39
Turning around Jesus saw them followed and asked "What do you want?"
They said Rabbi, "Where are you staying?"
"Come" he replied, "and you will see"

I don't know exactly what I am looking for or what I might find in Malawi
But I have faith that if I come...I will see
 
I hope to share some updates throughout my time in Malawi, however I will not be taking my laptop with me. So depending on what I am able to do with my phone and what Internet/power we have I will do my best!
Please continue to pray for our team and for what God has in store for us and for the people we meet.
I have no doubt that it is going to be extraordinary.


 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment